Xiamen Foods

I had a fear factor dinner the other night; marinated jellyfish, stir-fried beef tendon with bamboo shoots, and some chinese vegetables. This is nothing new to me. I grew up with this stuff, and I'll try just about anything, including snails (or escargot if you must).


Well, I've tried them and I don't think I like them. I don't hate them, but I'd never order them. But if I'm served them, I'll eat them. And between the four of us, we finished the whole plate of snails...along with our clams, crab, shrimp and soup. Delicious! Gulangyu is an island by the ocean, so they have a lot of seafood. We had lunch at a seafood restaurant where they had bins out front with all sorts of live clams, crabs, fish...we ordered their seafood meal for 3 people, which is how we ended up with snails.

This was one of many shops selling dried seafood...

Here's a couple shots of snacks from vendors in Xiamen. This is small squid and seaweed. The taste was good, but the squid bone was still in there so you had to spit that out.


These are delicious. They're a bit like Japanese mochi but made with pumpkin and pan-fried. They're made with rice flour, so they're soft and sticky inside. And in the middle is red bean paste. We stopped at a tea house in Xiamen and ordered a plate of these with a pot of tea. It was good.

0 comments: