Australia Zoo



The Australia Zoo!!! Steve Irwin's pride and joy! One of the things I really wanted to do in Australia was to visit the Australia Zoo. This is the zoo that Steve Irwin started with his father years ago as a reptile park. Now its a great park where the animals have lots of room to roam. Instead of tons of animals in small spaces, this park has a few animals in larger spaces. There's a strong emphasis on conservation and Steve Irwin's presence is still pretty strong in all the signage. This zoo is pretty interactive. You can feed elephants, touch and hold some of the animals. They try to give people the chance to get close to the animals and fall in love with them. Then you might be more compelled to help them.

This was a show at the Crocoseum.



Feeding elephants...I really liked doing this even though elephants eat with their noses and make snot. You might not be able to tell, but I had a big smile on my face. This elephant was 50 years old or something. Her name is Siam. I fed her a piece of watermelon.




Wombat out for a walk.



There were enclosures where roos and wallabies roam freely. They're all friendly, so you can go right up to them to pet and feed them. Roos are really really soft.


Koalas, wombats and a tasmanian devil. Wombats and tasmanian devils are nocturnal, so you're more likely to see them at night. This was the only devil I saw here.





I touched one of these things. Wierd. It's like an Australian hedgehog.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I want to pet a kangaroo and a koala! And feed an elephant! That looks like much more fun than the typical American zoo!

becky said...

I forgot to say, see you in May!!! Yay! I can't believe it's been so long since we've seen you! And that Carrie is getting married in less than 3 weeks! I hope you have safe travels back to the states!