Brisbane - Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary



BEWARE OF EXTREME CUTENESS
The morning of my flight to New Zealand, I had planned to get a $10 haircut at the Brisbane School of Hairdressing. But when I woke up, I felt truly compelled to hold a koala before I left. I think I may have been trying to grasp at anything distinctly Aussie that I couldn't do in New Zealand. So I took a bus to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and saw and held some koalas.


The koala on the right is a southern koala. Same species, but the ones in southern Australia have darker, thicker fur.





The one on the right is the one I held. So cute! Check out the lady holding the one to the left. How precious is that!


Koalas do make noises, too. The male ones make loud growling noises for mating. This one was a kiddie koala, only a few years old.



This is a mother and a baby koala. I probably disturbed them with my flash. The baby crawled back inside the pouch after I took the photo. The baby was actually eating from the mother's butt. The mums produce something in their faeces that is rich in digestive bacteria the babies need.


On to the roos!
This place also had an area where you could feed and pet kangaroos and wallabies. I was lucky enough to see this mother and joey. Baby koalas and roos all in one day!




1 comments:

Becky said...

Dude, you need to have your own show on the travel channel. And you could have different friends accompany you on each show...I wish we were there!