Kaikoura



From Christchurch, I took an early morning shuttle to Kaikoura. It was about 3 hours I think, bringing me into Kaikoura before 11am I think. Kaikoura is a town on the east coast of New Zealand's south island known for great whale watching. The water off the coast of Kaikoura is rich in nutrients and attracts an amazing array of marine life. I couldn't afford to go whale watching, but I really really wanted to. It's very expensive. Depending on the time of year, you can see sperm whale, orcas, blue whales, dolphins....some people at the hostel said they had come across a pod of about 200 dolphins. 200!!



Anywho...the weather was wet and cloudy, but the ocean was beautiful. I stayed at a small backpacker called Sunrise Lodge. After I arrived, I walked down the beach to town, went to the supermarket. That's about it. I like to go on walks because it's so beautiful here and walks are free, most of the time. There's a nice walk along the Kaikoura peninsula that I did the next day. It took me about 4 hours from the backpacker. There's a seal colony here. They were quiet, and a little stinky.






This was a fairly treacherous part of the track. Look at the size of them!



It really was a nice walk. I just loved all the green rolling hills. I really need to get that black spot on my camera taken care of.





There's nothing like coming back to a nice hot shower and a cup of tea after a long walk.
My bed is the one on the left with the light on.


Aileen got me a little sewing project for my birthday. It's a little Miss Buttons doll. Since the hostel didn't have a tv, I had some time to work on it in the evenings while chatting with some new Japanese friends.





I don't know what the deal was with the beer bottles. They were empty, just props.

0 comments: