Picton



I was in Kaikoura for 2 days. Then I hopped aboard the Atomic Shuttle and went to Picton. This is Kaikoura "town" as I was waiting for the bus. Plenty of outdoor activity as you can see. If you hadn't noticed, New Zealand is mostly two giant islands, the north and south islands. There are some smaller islands, but most of it is this. Picton is at the top of the south island where you'd arrive if you took the ferry from Wellington on the north island to the south island. Picton and nearby Blenheim have a good deal of vineyards and wineries. I did not partake, as I was short on time. I booked one night at Tombstone Backpackers "Where you may rest in peace." A wonderful hostel located next to a cemetery...cheesy, but I love it. The owners are super nice, free breakfast, and they have a piano and guitar! The bunks are kind of cramped, but the beds comfy and the bathrooms very clean.

Eight beds in this tiny room.



I'm not reading the paper. I'm eating fish n chips! (or fush n chups)


This a look at Picton Harbour and the Marlborough Sounds. I mainly came here to walk the Queen Charlotte Track. I was running short on time, so I only had a day in Picton to book my accomodation, transport, and buy food for the track. The Queen Charlotte Track is a 71km track through the Marlborough Sounds. Most of the track is water accessible, which means water taxis can drop you or pick you up at several points along the track. There are also resorts, lodges and campssites along the track where you can stay. Pack transport can be arranged, so that water taxis pick up your backpacks (or luggage) and deliver them to your next accomodation. You don't have to carry giant backpacks with you! Wonderful!

0 comments: