Queen Charlotte Track



Last day on the Queen Charlotte Track. I didn't plan this very well. I didn't want to be rushed on day three with 23.7 km to walk. The last water taxi picks around 4 something, and I didn't want to have to worry about making it to the jetty on time. So I'd arranged to spend the night at Portage and then take a water taxi back to Picton in the morning. Well, I don't know how they work their taxi schedules. They scheduled my taxi for 4ish in the afternoon. Had I known that, I would have gone ahead and finished walking the entire track. It's another 20 km to the end of the track. I just figured 3 days would be enough for me and didn't plan on finishing the track. Oh well, the weather was cloudy most of the day. I started walking more of the track the next morning for about 1.5 hours before I turned around and returned to Portage. There were some nice views, very steep climbs, and several bikers on the track.


I went back to Portage Hotel and played with dead jellyfish. I looked for ones that washed ashore and threw them back in the water to watch the way they move.



I wanted to rest and eat at the cafe at the hotel, but I guess with it being low season it wasn't open. So I munched on gorp, chocolate and muesli bars until the water taxi came to pick me up. It was 40 minutes late. It was getting very cold and somewhat dark. Waiting for the taxi and Torrea Bay jetty.


This was inside the shed on the jetty. It's Maori greeting meaning "good health", but it's used commonly for hello and goodbye.


Back to Picton at dusk.


I went straight to the ferry terminal in Picton and caught the evening ferry to Wellington.


View of Queen Charlotte Sound from the ferry.

0 comments: