Wellington



I really only had one full day in Wellington. I was really only passing through, so I didn't do much other than walk around, do internet, and go to Te Papa museum. It's a great musuem of New Zealand, and it's free! Last time I was here, the Lord of the Rings was still all the rage, and I saw an exhibit here about the making of the films.

Wellington is a nice city, but it's very small. I didn't feel like I was missing anything by leaving so soon. I believe this is the home of the Flight of the Conchords. I didn't see Bret or Jemaine. Maybe they were back in New York filming next seasons adventures.

This was inside the Maori marae at Te Papa. It's like a traditional Maori meeting house.


View from top of Te Papa.


This didn't come out well. The sky looked so cool. It almost looked fake, like the fake skies in Vegas.


Part of the unisex bathroom at the Cambridge Hotel.


So I had booked a bus for Rotorua the next morning. When I called, the woman on the phone started chatting with me and asked me about my name and where I was from and what I was doing. She asked me if I knew of any young people from Asia that would need a place to stay in Auckland. She's part of a homestay organization that offers students learning English a place to stay. Then she said I sounded like a nice mature person and gave me her email in case I ever needed a place to stay in Auckland. This all happened when I called to book a bus. I ended up talking with her for 20 minutes! That's New Zealand for you.

Anyway, I gave myself half an hour to get to the bus terminal. Well, I walked and walked like hell, and it took more than 40 minutes to get to the bus terminal from the hostel. So...I missed the bus. That was a low point. I had to call and book another bus, which wasn't for another few hours. Not to mention this was the day before Anzac Day weekend, so everyone and their cousin was traveling. Oh, stressful travels!

This was at the train station in Wellie.


The bus ride to rotorua was very pretty. I was on the wrong side of the bus for Mt. Ruapehu (Mt. Doom) so I couldn't get a picture of that. Too bad because it was gorgeous.

0 comments: