Harvest Fair


I have actually forgotten about my poor blog. I will be posting more regularly starting...soon. That's the plan. Last week I went to Seattle Tilth's Harvest Fair in Wallingford. It's about a 3 mile walk from the house, and it was a gorgeous day! Not a cloud in the sky, and a bit hot. I went because I wanted to learn more about urban gardening and raising chickens. Yes, one day I will have a yard, and in that yard I will compost, grow fruit trees, herbs and veggies, and raise some chickens!

I wasn't expecting the fair to be so big. It was really good! I met Marlo M who's the organizer for our etsy team, very cool. Always nice to meet fellow local crafters!

Need some peppers? What kind?


Chickens! I've been intrigued with the idea of raising chickens for a while, but after talking to some chicken owners at the fair, I really want some! To be clear, I just want a few hens for eggs and as pets. I am an omnivore, but I won't expect anything from my chickens other than fresh eggs...and to eat the bugs from my lawn (pretty please). Oh, this is just my observation, but kids seem to love chickens. Seriously, they like to chase them around, pick them up and hug them like teddy bears. See below, it's a fairy princess trying to hug a chicken.

Seattle Tilth offers a city coop tour every summer and classes on raising chickens in the city. Yay! They also have classes on raising goats if you're so inclined. I am not. What do you think of this little bird? Ain't she a beaut? I don't know much about chicken breeds, but I recognized this one right away as the kind I've had in a traditional Chinese soup. Yeah, the first time I had it, I was a little disturbed, but I soon got over it. Gray chicken meat with black bones is probably one of the tamer things I've eaten.

0 comments: