Eating in Taiwan

I was about to start posting some of my Hong Kong and China pictures, but I realized I still have tons more for Taiwan. So here we go...

At first I was a little intrigued by all the different flavours of chips, so I tried these Grilled Basil Chicken Doritos. I still prefer the cool ranch chips from my childhood, but these were okay. I'm not a big chip person, so after I tried these the intrigue was gone and I didn't need to try any others (until I saw blueberry potato chips in China). Now on to the real food!


I have to say I wasn't really familiar with Taiwanese food growing up. What I mean is I grew up eating Chinese food and Taiwanese food, but to me it was just food. I wasn't aware that so many of my favorite dishes were Taiwanese until I started craving them in Shanghai and couldn't find them except at Taiwanese eateries. I love food. Good food. Taipei night markets are fabulous places to get your eat on. But the city is full of tiny noodle shops, dumpling shops, dessert shops....There're also TGI Friday's, Macaroni Grill and Swensen's if you miss the taste of America, but I did not.

Let's start with some classic Taiwanese food shall we?


Pork chop rice bowl with some pickled vegetables....mmm, I'm getting hungry.


Chopped stewed pork belly rice (滷肉飯) and some stir-fried greens


Wonton noodle soup isn't necessarily, but the green vegetables with the sauce is very Taiwanese style.


I don't know what this is called. I believe it's made with rice flour, steamed in a bowl and flipped over. In the middle is meat and mushrooms. It's delicious.


Yonghe Soy Milk (永和豆浆) This was not the best Yonghe dhou jiang breakfast, but it's the only one I have a picture of. Yummy....who wouldn't want potstickers for breakfast? My mum doesn't eat this stuff, but if I was up early enough on weekends I'd go out with my dad to get some of this tasty grub.


Grass jelly with adzuki beans and taro and yam balls from Meet Fresh. Meet Fresh is a Taiwanese dessert house franchise. They have shops everywhere in Taiwan which pleased me to bits. I went there nearly every week for tofu pudding in peanut soup or adzuki bean soup with sweet rice balls. I really missed this stuff when I was in Shanghai.


One of many visits to Meet Fresh. I love this place!


Tofu pudding in peanut soup


Cuttlefish soup (魷魚羹) and sliced bean curd with sauce.


Beef Noodle Soup (牛肉麵) Taiwan-style


Taipei has awesome bakeries and it seems like there are two on every block. I ate a different bun or cake from breakfast everyday until I got sick of them.


One of my favorites. It's a sweet bread baked in the shape of a nerf football. In the middle is some sweet crumbly buttery stuff and raisins. We like to call it bomb bread.


Another bakery


The rest of these are pretty common foods that aren't unique to Taiwan.


Necks and tongues. Don't worry, the rest of my pictures are far more appetizing.


Dumplings!! These are boiled. Also hot and sour soup.


Dumplings!! Little steamed ones (小籠饅) at dinner with relatives. I ate most of the dumplings.


Sweet potato vendor. I don't really like them, but I like the carts.


More dumplings! Potstickers at Ba Fang (八方), another franchise I love. I always got a bowl of hot and sour soup with my dumplings. YUM!


There's this tiny little dumpling cart at the night market near the hospital. My mom had read in a local paper that this dumpling cart was highly recommended, so we checked it out. I'd always seen a long line of people patiently waiting for cheap dumplings, but I had never tried it. While the dumplings are cooking, they wrap the next batch.

Tada!

My sack of tasty tasty dumplings. Too bad I didn't know how delicious these were until my last weeks in Taipei. The filling is mostly cabbage, with some shreds of carrot, scallions, and a few tiny dried shrimp. and also probably a good deal of MSG. I know this because I made a point to try to recreate these when I returned to the US. Well, I did try to recreate these, and I failed. I wish I had a few of these right now. I'm so hungry. Mmmm....


Little hot pots (火鍋)


Some savory bread-like yummies


Unfortunately the popular way to make coffee here is the instant way. I got used to the 3-in-1 instant mix with coffee, creamer and sugar, but I can't really call that stuff real coffee. It took me a while to find coffee beans, but I finally found some affordable beans at Carrefour. Yay for French supermarket chains!


A steam bun shop. You'd be surprised at the all flavours

Getting my chocolate and brown sugar buns from the steamer.


This is a cafeteria. These great because I could help myself to seaweed, stir-fried mushrooms, and fried chicken (my usual cafeteria fare). And it comes with a soup. If you chose to eat there, you have to dump your leftovers into a slop bucket next to the rubbish bins so the city can collect the food waste.

There you go. Hope you're hungry now. I am!

0 comments: