It's HOT!

We're in the middle of a freak heat wave here in the northwest. Generally I don't complain about the lack of air conditioning in these parts because for the most part the summer days are pretty mild. But the last few days have been in the upper 90s, and today was the hottest day EVER recorded in Seattle, a scorching 103°F. I know it gets much hotter in the southern states, but there's plenty of air conditioning to go around down there. Come to think of it, it gets this hot in parts of Australia, and most of the hostels I stayed in did not have air conditioning either. At least now I don't have to sleep on a plastic covered foam bunk mattress in a tiny room with 6 other backpackers. So glad for that! And visiting Shanghai in August was much worse heat-wise. So...I try not to complain too much, but this IS the hottest day here on record, ever. And it's probably 90°F inside the house. It's a strange sensation to find your toothpaste warm when you go to brush your teeth, or the dish soap, or the lotion.

What better time to enjoy some chilled drinks than on a hot summer day? I made some Strawberry-Basil Iced Tea. Yummy! Thank you Martha Stewart! I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I adjusted the ingredients based on what I had, which was 4 tea bags, half pound of frozen strawberries, and fresh basil from my garden. I put the tea bags in a glass jar and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. I also halved the sugar, as I do with most recipes. It was a good decision because the tea also took on the sweetness of the strawberries. It was good! I'm out of strawberries, so I'll have to find another drink to make tomorrow. Going to be another hot one!

1 comments:

Katie said...

I feel your pain!! St. Louis gets really hot in the summer, but a few weeks ago, we had a stretch of 100 degree days. The worst for me is the warm toilet seat...